Re[2]: [ihc] RE: 5 speeds and 6's

Jim Grammer wrote:

>>Otherwise it's modification time(to the SV bellhousing).

JG> Ken, since I happen to have one of the automatic adapter(IH nomenclature
JG> 'adapter, flywheel housing') plates lying loose at the moment, I checked the
JG> fit-up on a bellhousing for an SV-8 last night. The auto converter uses only
JG> 4 bolts to mount to the adapter, the bottom 2 w/dowel sleeves and the top 2.
JG> The middle 2 on the V-8 are not addressed, and the bulge for the V-8 starter
JG> nose kind of hangs in the breeze. So, the auto adapter ain't gonna work so
JG> good ;(

JG> Parts books from the '60's(MT-118, MT-110) aren't much help. Go back to B
JG> series stuff(MT-107), and bingo. There is a listing for a flywheel
JG> housing(not adapter) that specifically calls out the T-3x trannies. That
JG> housing should do the job, maybe try Coonrod's?

JG> MT-107 also lists 2 flavors of the adapter plate. One is called out for 10"
JG> and 11" clutches, so clearly for manual trannies. The other is called out
JG> for 12" clutches or automatics. Bolt patterns? Who knows? I have one of the
JG> earliest BW autos(from an R series), and it's converter housing has the same
JG> 4 bolt pattern as the later units. The bad news would be if you needed
JG> *both* the adapter plate and the 5 speed-specific flywheel housing.

JG> Looking at a 'unit' flywheel housing for the 6 and 4 speed, it occurs to me
JG> that a spacer type adapter might not be that tough to build. 1/2" steel
JG> plate should do the job, mounted on the back of the housing with pickup
JG> holes for the 5 speed case. You'd need to space the flywheel back a like
JG> amount, I wonder if there's enough clearance inside the housing????

More thanks Jim.  You've been a great help.  At this point, I think I
am going to have to get the various parts I have all together at once
and start writing things down.  Then take your posts and see what I can
come up with.  There are others interested in this same setup so it
would be nice to pin down atleast reproducable method so we can
share...

Thanks again,

Ken