Re: [ihc] battery charging

Hello John & Steve,

What happens to a battery that is not fully charged or "conditioned" is a
process called sulfation. The normal action of a battery is form sulfates on
the plates as they discharge and the recharge process drives the sulfates
off the plates back into solution. When the sulfate crystals are left on the
plate for a period of time they harden and that area of the plate becomes
ineffective, there by reducing the capacity of the battery. An equalization
charge of the battery can drive off the sulfate crystals with a controlled
over charge and restore capacity.

The other way to desulfate a battery is with a desulfator, John if you don't
have one of these you're just not a guy that has everything ;~}. NAPA sells
a the one I have for about $125.00 that works with a small solar panel.
Desulfators work by (simplified explanation) creating a high frequency high
voltage pulse at the resonant frequency of the sulfate crystals causing to
break up and go back into solution. A good analogy would be an opera singer
breaking a crystal glass.

I've had my desulfator for about 2.5 years now and have not bought a battery
yet! I've used it to bring back total dead batteries that would not take a
charge at all. I rotate the desulfator among the fleet and it seems about a
week or 2 on the desulfator does it. I'm also using it on the L-16
industrial batteries the power the backup inverter for the house the rest of
the time. After using the desulfator you should find the battery takes a
charge quicker and maintains a higher voltage.

I also have purchased a few the small solar battery maintainers for some of
the equipment that sits for a long time and those seem to work well too.

Tom Reed