Re: [ihc] Ford outers, D44?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>
Cc: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 21:35
Subject: Re: [ihc] Ford outers, D44?

> Ryan,
>       Do you KNOW this for a fact?  A friend here in Tucson swapped his
'73
> Dana 30 outers for Dana 44 outers to add disk brakes and had all kinds of
> problems from the way I heard it.  Are the Dana 30 outers/spindles only
> drilled 6 bolts?  I can find those everywhere!  So, then is it ford outers
> with Dana 30 (pre '74 drum, open knuckle) Scout spindles and all the rest
> the same as what's on the truck?
>
>       no speculation, just the facts please.
>
> JoelB

I don't quite get exactly what this guy did?

I just know that guys who do the chevy swaps like to use the dana 30
spindles so they can run the scout II hubs etc and stay 5 lug for that front
axle.  Talk to a guy who went SOA with a chevy front 44 and stayed 5 lug and
he can tell you all he had to do.  *I* havn't *done* it so I can't tell you
precisely what happens, but I've been told it's straightforward and bolt on
etc.

All I *KNOW* is that they do it and that they make it seem like it was
really easy.  I'm not going to speculate on anything further.

BTW, the ford 1/2 tons are 5 lug anyway, so I don't see why you'd need to
put the scout II outers on, unless you just wanted it for looks...

-Ryan

---