Re: [ihc] High Amp Alternator

George B Humphrey wrote:

	What are the advantages and disadvantages of switching to a higher amp
alternator? What, if anything, would I have to do to the Scout if a
changed to a higher amp alternator? What are the advantages of a one wire
alternator? I've got lots of electrical goodies running at certain times
and am thinking about changing.
More juice! Specifically, at anything above idle. Sometimes a high-amp unit will have LESS output at idle than a "stocker" 37 or 63amp. If you do a lot of idling, this could be a downside.

When I put the 392 into my Travelette, I put in an electric fan that draws ~40amps when running. The 37amp (or 63 or whatever.. I didn't really worry about it before) alt was going to be a little weak for that.

I put in a Delco 12si 94amp alternator. Direct bolt in upgrade for our 10si 37/63amp stock units.

I did a Ford starter solenoid conversion at the same time. I then bought another battery cable and ran it from the output of the 12si alternator straight to the Ford solenoid's battery side. Charging current no longer goes through the ammeter, though the ammeter is still connect and the rest of the wiring is untouched.

I installed a voltmeter to keep tabs on the electrical system.

At idle, it keeps up, until the fan kicks on, then it drops a volt or two.. tap the gas, and the needle swings back up to normal.

Little chance of the 4-gauge battery cable from the alt output to the solenoid melting down from too much current, too.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
Leaving for RMIHR in the AM.. but first there's a stripped wheel stud on the Scout to fix.. GRRRR..