[ihc] RE: Gas-less Bryan

>Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 11:23:13 -0400
>From: <scout@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] Mechanical Fuel Pump Installation in IH 304 engine

>I've replaced the mechanical fuel pump in my 1970 800A, but don't believe
>I've done so correctly.  The engine is not getting any gas, nor is the fuel
>bowl filling up with any gas.  All the lines are connected and there is gas
>in the tank.

Assuming that gas can get from the tank to the pump(i.e. gas was flowing
fine before the previous fuel pump died).....

There is little you can screw up on the install. If inserted straight and
bolted flat to the mounting boss, the fuel pump arm doesn't really have any
place to go except up against the eccentric on the camshaft nose. The fuel
pump is prolly either DOA or(as you suspected) the wrong one. Compare the
operating arm with your old one if you kept it. You can test the pump a
couple of ways. Disconnect the line to the carb and stick it in a container,
then crank the engine. You should get plenty of gas in the container fairly
quickly. Or, with the pump off the engine(in a vise with soft jaws is
easiest), stroke the operating arm. The pump should make decent suction on
the inlet and have an obvious output 'puff' of air. It's pretty easy to spot
a dead one this way FWIW, it's a positive displacement pump that needs to be
able to self-prime.

If I suspect a gas flow problem to the pump, I hook up the hand vacuum pump
and brake bleeder jar to the tank line out and see if I can pull gas into
the jar.

Jim