Re: [ihc] 152/196 Flywheels & Harmonic Balancers

At 12:33 AM 7/4/04, JefGruwell@domain.elided wrote:
>Greg & all, thanks for taking time, I do appreciate...
>
>I took a closer look at my "SV" 304 in 1961 1200C. It looks like it has a
>weight on harmonic balancer that goes about 1/2 way around circumference.

Bingo. That's the external portion of the front bobweight.

>I have two or three extra IHC flywheels I bought from somebody who was
>getting out of his Scout stuff all together. He was not sure about what
>engine these
>flywheels came from and neither am I.
>
>Is there any difference between 152 and 196 flywheels?

Not that I know of.

>What is the difference between SV flywheels and 4 cyl?

As far as I know--the  SV flywheels are drilled for both 11 and 12 inch
clutches. The 4 cyl flywheels are drilled for something smaller (9" ??).

The SV flywheels have a cast in bob-weight--a deliberate imbalance--on the
engine side of them.

They MAY have a different crank flange bolt pattern, 4 vs 8 , I don't
recall. (Tom M ???)

The SV flywheels use eight bolts and a dowel, and will only mount to the
crank in one position (wise, because the bobweight imbalance needs to be in
the proper location).

>Are all SV flywheels the same?

Yes, I believe they are.

BTW--just for irrelevant trivia--IH did the rear external bobweight
differently on the LV8 engines (401/461/478/549/537/605)---all of the
flywheels/flexplates for those engines were neutral balance, and the rear
external bobweight was a separate piece that mounted in between the
flywheel and the crank flange.

GReg