[ihc] Re: ihc-digest V7 #515

----- Original Message -----
From: "John M. Adams" <jma@domain.elided>
To: "John Donnelly" <dslscout@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2004 12:21 PM
Subject: RE: ihc-digest V7 #515

>snip<
> > field repair
> > easier due to more common to other make hardware.  Benz Spring was
> > instrumental in this www.benzspring.com  .
>
> That's a cool site; thanks. It's always nice to see a parts distributor
that
> still has "International" listed in it's catalogue.

The family used, uses, and posesses many IH trucks, I wouldn't call them
"nuts" or "aficionados" but they still have IH iron in thier driveways.  I
agree, it is nice to see IH mentioned in a listing or catalogue.

> > I did do the shackle flip mentioned to the rear.  I would
> > recommend this to
> > anyone who wants to wheel a full-size and keep thier ride intact, not to
>
> You mean as opposed to the alternative of adding leaves or a heavier
spring
> pack? Wouldn't simply adding taller blocks in back keep the ride intact as
> well?

I really am not a fan of blocks.  I realize they work, but I still don't
like them.  Adding leaves just makes the truck ride horribly, and given my
use of bias-ply 34X10.50 - 15 Swamper LTB's, I felt that anything that might
make the ride harsher wasn't a good idea.  Benz agreed with me as well, and
recommended that I install the factory overload springs for heavy duty work
and remove them for wheeling trips.  I left them off on our trip to the
OBDR, but should have left them on as I ended up with a pretty heavy load in
the truck and my springs ended up being pretty flat most of the time.  If I
hadn't done the shackle flip, I would have been dragging the TA's rear on
the ground most of the way.  The pics on the BB show the truck fully loaded
in a lot of shots, it still had plenty of clearance, but not enough to make
me happy.
>snip<

> I'm pretty much sold on keeping the closed setup. I've had the truck for
20
> years, and the steering radius only bothers me occasionally.

I drove closed knuckle rigs for years, and never had the breakage issues
with them that several of my open knuckle buddies had/have.  I just think
that the axle is kept in a more centered position, and the limited radius
keeps you from over-stressing u-joints.  Granted, you have to be a bit more
attentive when turning, but I can do that.  I just hate fixing stuff in the
dirt on the side of a ravine.  I don't think you will be dissapointed.

>snip<
> Thanks for speaking up and answering my questions, John. I'll get some
> pictures posted of my own T'All... *soon* (don't ask my kids what I mean
by
> that - they've soured on that word...) ~John A.

LOL!!  I can't wait to see them.  My daughter hates it when I say "soon" as
well!

-JD