[ihc] Oregon Backcountry Discovery Trail: We're Baaack!

I got back from the OBDR on Saturday.  For those that do not know, it
runs from Washington to California on roads ranging from paved highway to
gravel roads to dirt tracks to no road at all.  I and another guy left
Portland for Walla Walla on Friday, via a wrecking yard in Hermiston.
(Found a sweet '73 T'All that someone needs to rescue, ask if you are
interested.)  Met up with our other folks on Saturday (from Oregon,
Washington, and Alberta), and hit the trail by noon.  From the 5th to the
12th we were on the trail, coming down to some small towns just for gas
or ice.  Average distance per day was around 100 miles, with total
distance travelled from Portland to Walla Walla down toward Burns and
back to Portland was around 1200 miles for those that came from the
Portland area.  No breakage, and all portions passable to even the most
stock Scout or pickup, although the more modified rigs had to break trail
in some spots, and even then it was iffy.  We blasted across some snow
drifts, cruised over some rimrocks on mountaintops, drove through large
mud puddles, forded two rivers, visited an old homestead and several fire
lookouts, rode through a small cattle drive, visited an old dredge in the
gold country, got rained on repeatedly, almost slid sideways into a
canyon (from what the folks behind me said), winched a fallen tree from
across the road, and saw mile after mile of scenic forest and desert.  I
lost track of what day it was, and we all were about two days behind
everyone else in learning about the deaths of Ronald Reagan and Ray
Charles.  9 IHC vehicles took part, with 12 men, 1 woman, 1 boy, and 1
dog in the pack.  Those that came were Ron Carpenter, Jim Price, John
Donnelly, Erin Donnelly, Jeff Nemish, Greg Foster, Ken Fahlman, Eric
Fahlman, John Watson, Ryan Watson, Phil Hinds, Jeff Easterbrook, Bill
Easterbrook, Zach the Dog, and myself.  We actually ran out of time,
covering just over 2/3 of the trail, and pulling out on Saturday.  There
is talk that we will go back in August or September to complete the last
leg down to California.  Those that are interested in looking at some
pictures and reading about the trip or the trail may visit the following
links.  If anyone wants to come on this shorter leg, let me know.  BTW,
for those that have not met me, the guy getting out of the yellow tent
and putting on his wet shoes is me.
-Colin Rush

http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23986

http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24065