Re: [ihc] White in or out

----- Original Message -----
From: "John M. Adams" <jma@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>; <weidenhe@domain.elided>;
<keen@domain.elided>; <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2004 00:36
Subject: RE: [ihc] White in or out

> Ryan, You've mentioned that approach a couple of times now, and I'm
getting
> curious...  I've used a number of different penetrating solutions to
> "restore" the look of tires, but never paint. I always assumed that with
the
> flex of the sidewall rubber, any kind of surface application (ie. paint)
> would end up cracking and looking like exactly what it is, a band-aid. Do
> you use a particular type of paint? Does it really hold up and look
decent?
> Let us know if there's a type and/or brand that works for you, and I'll
give
> it a try. I've got a set of tires on my Scout right now that I'm willing
> experiment with. They're old and ugly, and will be replaced someday
"soon",
> but not *tomorrow*... so they are the perfect test case. Thanks, ~John A.
> ---

At the time, about anything was going to look better than the blue stuff!

I thought it looked fine.  I don't think it ever looked really bad.  Might
not want to do it on brand new tires (keep in mind, mine *was* on brand new
tires, and I was fine with it) or on a really nice truck, but I didn't think
it looked bad.  But on the other hand, I'm not one that has really ever
cared how it looks to everyone else, as long as it looked fine to *me* I was
happy.

My brand was some random stuff I got at the discount auto parts... forget
what the name of it was.  Was just flat black.  I think I taped off the rim
to prevent overspray and then went at it (if you just paint the letters it'd
probobly be obvious).

I may have had to touch it up as the blue stuff got ready to come off, but
I'm not sure... it really has been a while.  I know I havn't touched it in
3-4 years, but that's about it.   Memory in my old age and all ;)

-Ryan

---