RE: [ihc] IH funny car

## >> > Saw this, couldn't resist sharing. I like it despite my normal
## >> > bent against
## >> > radical mods and repowering. Seems like it should have a
## >> blown Comer/Dave
## >> > Sr. built SV tho' :)
## >> >
## >> > http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/7/2/72428672.htm
## >> >
## >>
## >> What is a "BRACKET RACER"? Thanks, ~John A.

it's a drag racing thing, a specific kind.  it's a little different from the
big pro drag racing like you see on TV, where each driver simply goes as
fast as they can and the other guy goes as fast as he can.  a lot more
complex than just hammering the go pedal and launching, getting to the end
of the track first in the fastest possible time.

basically, in this type of racing, you build up your car, and determine what
your average quarter-mile speed and time is, with a maximum upper time limit
and minimum lower time limit.  those limits are your "bracket".  then you
race other folks in the same "bracket".  when i was in high school and early
college, some friends and i built a few bracket racers.  good clean fun,
kept us off the street and more or less out of trouble.

the rules are such that you have to stay within your bracket and still beat
the other racer.  if you go faster than your minimum bracket time, you
automatically lose.  i believe there are penalties for exceeding your
maximum bracket time, but i'm a little fuzzy on those details.  this
particular kind of drag racing requires an awful lot of finesse to stay
ahead of your opponent yet stay within your bracket.  can get quite
exciting, really.

there are different kinds of brackets, as well.  different kinds/classes of
racers, such as normally aspirated, blown, nitrous, alcohol, etc.  normally
cars compete in their own class and bracket, but there is some crossover,
especially in the less-well-moderated events.

that's a pretty sharp truck in the advertisement...  but i agree with Jim.
it should have an SV in it.  ah well, at least it's one of ours.  +)

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.