Re: [ihc] Ryan's short

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>
Cc: <ihc@domain.elided>; "Jim Grammer" <jgrammer@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 18:39
Subject: [ihc] Ryan's short

> On Jun 9, 2004, at 12:48 PM, Ryan Moore wrote:
>
> > On that note (hijacking the thread to a degree), I still can't figure
> > out
> > what my problem is.  The next time it happens, would it be safe to
> > unplug
> > the alternator as a way of checking to see if it is the problem?   I
> > don't
> > really think it is (don't understand how charging to the battery could
> > cause
> > the engine to lose power in the way it does), but I want to try to
> > cover all
> > options.  Once I go to GA at the end of the month, I can't bring the
> > scout
> > back to TN until I have the problem identified and repaired.
>
> I guess I just assumed that you had that licked, and now I can't go
> back far enough in my mail to find your original post. Why don't you
> just repost it and I (we) will give it another look?
>
> John

*I* thought I had it licked too.  Seemed unplugging that one connection had
fixed it.  Didn't happen for a while.  Then, when I changed the vac advance
source, I mashed the happy pedal to make sure it wouldn't ping and after
that it started doing it again.  Don't think mashing the happy pedal had
anything to do with it, but it came back...

Excerpt from a previous post:

"Any more ideas on what could be causing my problem would be appreciated.
(sysmtems, ammeter gets a little jumpy and the engine surges with the
ammeter.  Initially when the ammeter starts it doesn't do anything, but when
it reaches a point the engine seems to chime in (will see the ammeter move a
little bit some without any change, and then it's a little bigger and the
engine starts surging).  The deflections are less than half scale down and
can get up to half scale or so up on the bigger ones...  fairly fast
bouncing..."

Any ideas?

It did seem to change slightly.  Now it moves back and forth a little and
then full scale charge and back...

I would stop driving it until I got it fixed, but I *can't* because it's the
only vehicle I have up here right now (which is why if I don't get it fixed
it's not coming back until it is once I go to GA the end of this month).
I'm avoiding driving anyway as much as possible due to fuel prices, so I'm
not driving a whole lot at least.

On that note, my multi-engine  checkride is tomorrow.  Wish me luck.

Thanks,
Ryan

---