[ihc] 266 w/ knock

>>  Kyle, that's a nice looking 800. Did you do the
>>  detail work under the hood?  It looks sharp...
>>
>>  Hope your project is going well. Did you decide
>>  on a swap or a rebuild? Good luck in either
>>  case, ~John A.

     Thanks for the compliments on the Scout!  I did most of the engine
detailing last summer when I took apart the top end trying to locate the
tapping.

     It was almost a unanimous vote among digest members that the failed
bearing(s) has nothing to do with the tapping, but the babbitt I found in
the oil pump means they need to be taken care of, anyway...  So, I have
decided to pull the 266 to see what is going on inside.  Maybe while I am at
it I will find a worn cam lobe or some other culprit for the tapping.

     I decided against driving the Scout the 40 miles to where the 345 and
engine lift are stored, instead opting to borrow a truck to bring the lift
back to the Scout.  I commandeered a friend's driveway, and in the pouring
rain these last two evenings have managed to get the engine ready to pull.

     Now, I am to the "move the engine forward" stage and I have paused to
ask you guys a question:  The engine mounts on the 266 have one stud
sticking up and two poking down.  I don't see how I can "slide" the engine
forward without lifting it an inch or so first.  The directions in both the
factory service manual and Chilton's have strong warnings that I will damage
the clutch if I lift first!  How should I proceed?  (Pictures of the mounts
can be found at http://www.uidaho.edu/~thor7358/ih/ )

     Also, is there a gasket between the back of the engine and the flywheel
housing?  I expected it to "break" apart after all 6 bolts were removed, but
it is still solid.  Will it come apart fairly easily as I move the engine or
does it need to be split somehow first?

     Thanks for all your excellent advice so far, and in advance for your
help on this matter!

Cheers,
     Kyle Thoreson