Re: [ihc] Kid Stories

Ed Sohm wrote:
down the street.  They were not impressed to see a child seat strapped
in the passenger seat with no doors on.  The kids still think the cage
is a jungle gym.

When the second was born I bought a 1010 Travelall with working air for
My just-turned-five niece has spent a lot of time around me, especially when I was still living at my mom's and wrenching in the shop there..

Carrie was picked up from daycare a number of times in my green 1110 Travelall. She has a voracious appetite for the beef-jerky I often snack on while in the shop, and does her best to "help" as often as she can, which usually involves riding her bike around the shop and talking the entire time.. :D

She also still enjoys riding in the backseat, with the top down, of my Scout II, though she often complains it's "loud" and insists on stealing the ear-muffs I use when grinding n' such.

But, with regard to the no doors issue...

I had a real quandry a year or two ago. IIRC, kids under a certain age/weight (and over another age/weight) are allowed to ride in cars w/o a childseat, but must ride in the back.

We were driving Michelle's 800, "Oscar" one day and we were taking Carrie to the park (or out for ice cream) in the topless 800 (but *with* doors).

Dilemma.

Do we put Carrie in the backseat, where she's supposed to be, but *without a seatbelt* (AFAIK, perfectly legal in 1968).. or put her up front, where she's not supposed to be, but *with* a seatbelt?

Fortunately, no one ever had reason to stop us and consult the law on the matter. We opted to put Carrie up front, with the belt.

I wonder if using a child-seat, in the back, with no seat-belt would have been the "right" thing to do? :D