[ihc] Re: ihc-digest V7 #487

Those overdrive units were used in all of those, and in Willys and Ramblers and Studebakers too (and maybe Packards), in the 1940s to as late as the 1970s.  If a car or pickup had overdrive in those years, chances are that it used the BW unit.  They were known as the Borg-Warner R-10 and R-11.  They looked identical, but the R-11 was supposed to be a heavier-duty version.  Having seen both, I will be damned if I can tell the two apart, except for the casting number.  Parts are pretty interchangeable.  Those numbers will help you find the breakdown and service information in the old Motor Age and Mitchell's Manuals/National Service Data books.  The D-20 units I have seen had a newer aftermarket aluminum adaptor that allowed the fitment of one of the passenger car or pickup units to the transfer case.  Control consists of a floor switch to disengage the unit when the driver wanted to pass and floored it.  There was also a dash mounted cable knob that engaged and disengaged the unit.  Some cars like Rambler had instead of the floor switch a switch on the shifter that let the driver choose to turn it off.  It said "Overtake" if I remember correctly.  If you find one, I see no reason not to use it.  They look plenty strong for most uses.  Like anything, they will break if abused.  I think they would be a nice upgrade on the older IHC pickups that used the BW transmissions, and a Ford unit should bolt right on.  I know of a fellow that had one of the D-20 units he was trying to sell last year.  If anyone is serious about wanting to get one, I can get his number if you need it.  He had two, but only one aluminum adaptor.  The whole mess was up for grabs for someone with $500, and he was pretty resolute.  He may still have it.  Someone with some ability could machine a duplicate or two of the adaptor, and make the other unit usable, with a spare for the event that you come across another one at a swap meet.  I have some other info on these, including a wiring diagram for retrofitting into your rig, if you want it. The older NSD manuals show several variations on the wiring for these, which gives you a little more choice in control.
-Colin Rush

Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:01:32 -0700
From: "Jim Grammer" <jgrammer@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: [ihc] RE: Herm buddy

Chubbies, Ferds, Studes, you name it. Even IH's(T-2 IIRC) :)

The o/d unit is basically the same for them all, fitment details prolly vary
some depending on which tranny they're mated to. I expect a 'spud shaft'
adapter was used to adapt to the D20, just not sure if there are pertinent
differences between the Ferd and Scout D20 requiring different parts for the
o/d install. Pretty good rundown here:
http://www.hydratech.com/pctc/Public_Documents/bwwiring.pdf

More pics of the guts:
http://www.hydratech.com/pctc/Public_Documents/bwrebuild.pdf

The cable locks out the shift function of the o/d unit, which with OEM
wiring was automatic(governer controlled solenoid). Hence the term
'electric' overdrive.

I like them enough to have amassed 4 T-2's, naturally none of them are in
trucks at the moment ;(

Jim

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!