Re: [ihc] Re: 266 w/ knock

Kyle,

The cam can indeed be replaced without messing with
the crank & rods.  The cam comes out the front of the
engine.  After you get timing cover off, there are
some bolts that you take loose through the holes in
the upper timing gear.  Then remove the lifters.  And
then just pull the cam out.  When you bring the engine
in for the cam/ bearing replacement, make sure you
have the flywheel off.  There's a plate on the back of
the engine, behind the flywheel, that you remove to
service the rear cam bearing.

BTW on this engine to get the lifters out all you need
is a magnet on a rod or some kind of lifter grabber.
Tom Mandera has one.  By using this you can save
removing the valley cover.  The lifters come out
through the pushrod holes in the head.  I think you've
already discovered that.  I'd avoid that valley cover
if  you can.  I just wrote a proceedure on that a few
weeks ago.  The proceedure works but avoid if you can.

You'll have Permatex Red smeared from here to Tuesday.
Ask Mark about that.

Steve