Re: [ihc] 266 w/ knock -- forensics help requested!

Kyle,

That strip of soft metal is a bearing insert.
Guaranteed!  3/4 inch wide sounds like a cam bearing.
Crank bearings are wider.

When I rebuilt my engine a couple years ago, due to a
knock in the engine, I found the cam bearings eroded.
They were still in place but the exposed surface was
worn away.  Never did find any identifiable metal in
the engine.  My knock was worn cam lobes which
prevented the lifters from smoothly following the cam
contours.

You need to tear that thing down and replace the cam
bearings and probably the cam too.  Have a machinist
check the cam bores to see if they are too damaged to
take new bearing inserts.  May need to align bore the
cam. Replace the cam and lifters as a set.  If the
ones you inserted show no wear then you can probably
use them.

The cam comes out the front of the engine but the rear
cam bearing comes out the back of the engine through a
hole closed by a simple plate behind the flywheel.

You also need to check the oil pump for metal damage.
Most likely the filter stopped the metal from going
anywhere else.

When you tear this thing down do **not** reuse the
connecting rod bolts.  They are tightened to yield
when installed and should not be reused.  They ain't
cheap, but if they fail...

Steve