[ihc] Sweet Sorrow at the Local Pick 'N' Pull

Went to the local Pick 'N' Pull two weeks ago and checked the truck
section as usual for any new Internationals. To my dismay there was a
really clean '68 1200 2WD pickup. I looked it up and down real close. It
had definitely been a work truck and had the scars to show it but there
was no rust and it was basically complete. One of the front spindles had
broken off; the flat spot on the bottom of brake backing plate telling a
story of the wheel coming off while the truck was moving. What kills me
it to see a nearly perfect cab and bed in its last few weeks before
going to the crusher; thinking what people in the rust belt would give
for a rust free cab like this. I foresaw this truck's future as Toyota
fenders and Chinese rebar. Once I got over my initial sadness, my
vulture eyes started to appreciate what this truck had: Dana 60 rear
axle with Powr-Lok and 4.10 ratio, a direct bolt replacement for my worn
out RA-10; rear springs with overloads; dual circuit brake master
cylinder with separate clutch master and all associated hardware; power
steering pump, bracket, hoses, box, and steering column; 2WD front
springs for an easy lift to the front of my Travelall. I dropped all my
plans for that day and went back for the steering and brake systems. The
big stuff like the rear axle would have to wait until the following
weekend. The next Saturday I was able to get all four springs and the
rear axle.
I was sorry to see this truck in its last days, but happy I was able to
get some great upgrade parts for my Travelall. My point? None really,
just sharing an experience.

Isaac Hastings
1965 IH 3/4 Ton 4x4 Travelall
http://isaac.healdsburg.net/travelall