[ihc] RE: Kyle's bits

IME, worn cam lobes don't cause anything I'd describe as a 'knock'. If it's
bad enough that the lifter can't maintain 0 lash, the lifter will make a
'ticking' sound as it floats free between the cam base circle and lifter.

Until I peeked at the pics, I was going to suggest piston slap. Typically
loudest at idle, going away(mostly) under load, isolate by pulling plug
wires and using a stethoscope. Rod bearings are kinda the opposite,
generally quiet at idle/louder under load.

Your stock oil pressure gauge is basically useless other than an indicator
that the oil pressure went down *some*. It won't tell you how much, or where
you started. A high quality mechanical gauge is needed to determine your
true oil pressure, I use  an commercial unit that I just screw into the side
of the block. The critical reading on an IH SV is hot idle oil
pressure(totally warmed up, like 20 min. of idling). I have not seen any IH
SV that had decent hot idle pressure fail to have enough oil pressure at
higher RPM.

That said, the bits in your pics look like main bearing material to me,
possibly rods. BIG chunks, muy malo :( There aren't any shims in the bottom
end. Cam bearings(most prevalent cause of low oil pressure) generally show
up in flakes, not big chunks, and have a central oiling groove. Hate to say
it, but something inside your motor is *really* unhappy.

As long as the pan's off, pull the main bearing caps one by one and check
the bearings. If you don't see anything out of the ordinary, do the same
with the rod caps.

Jim