Re: [ihc] Diesel Injector Question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Shaw, II" <josephshaw@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>; "Greg Hermann"
<bearbvd@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>; <oldihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 7:53 PM
Subject: Re: [ihc] Diesel Injector Question

> Yes, that is what I generally have been told about most diesels, even
though
> I know many starting fluid and ether cans say "Safe for Diesel."
>
> So, to answer the question, I have not tried any of that yet-had some
handy,
> but figured I would wait until I was ready to give up before taking that
> risk!

Some time ago on the MBZ diesel list a fellow was having a similar problem
and situation with a long term of no use.  He finally started it by
either,( pushing of towing?), and when he finally got it started they were
doing about 30 mph+.  After that it would start with the starter.  There
could have been a combination of problems; low compression,sticky valves,
sticky rings, air in injectors, and, and?  I had some problems last winter
and used some cetane boost and two fully charged batteries.  A space heater
under the engine or the winter plug in block heater, all can help.  On the
[ IDI ] indirect injection engines that I use glow plugs are critical for
starting.Without glow plugs  the MB is next to impossible to start,  the 7.3
in my F350 is difficult.  Heat and fuel are the basic items,   Heat is
developed by compression and or glow plugs, and the finer the spray from the
injectors the better it fires. .  Greg's idea on the ether can be a help
also, just DON'T do much.  And if it tries to run, then you are looking at a
fuel problem.  It can be a hassel getting algee out of the system.   You may
have all this info already. If that's the case delete.   I don't have any
experience with your brand of engine.  In any event good luck  Jim A.