[ihc] Simply shocking

>Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:53:21 -0500
>From: "Peter F. Ferris" <binder@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] Simply Shocking...

>So, I'm collecting opinions on brands #2 & #3.  Of those 2 brands mentioned
>which do you prefer?  Also, if you know of a good mail order source for
>them.  Also, I was cornfused by the Skyjacker site - it wasn't clear (to
me)
>what the differences were between the different models they have (IIRC,
they
>had 2 models for the front and 2 more for the back, but I couldn't find
>anything telling me which model is optimal for what.

>And if there are folks that are mainly on roaders (like me), and you've
>found Brand X at AutoZone work as well as anything, let me know!

I think you'll find that the entry level 'off road' shocks(Rancho 5000,
Skyjacker whatever) are pretty much a standard HD gas shock with stiffer
valving and a little bigger body/bore. A bit more oil capacity,
theoretically some added fade resistance. I've had good success with good
ol' Gabriel or Monroe HD gas shocks, which seem to give a better ride on the
street than the bottom-of-the-line 'off road' units. Moving up the food
chain a ways to the adjustable(i.e. Rancho 9000) or 'velocity sensitive'
valving units is a different story, but tough to say if you'll notice an
improvement commensurate with the price difference. I have the Trailmaster
SSV's on my SII, think they're great, and would heartily recommend them.
That said, they were on the truck when I bought it, almost new, and I can't
honestly say that I would pony up for another set(I'm cheap). I *do* think
that they do a good job of complementing the relatively stiff Trailmaster
lift springs that are on the truck. With stock springs that advantage is
prolly moot, and I'd likely wait until the Gabriel/Monroes were on sale at
CSK and nab some.

Jim