Re: [ihc] Tom's crossed up? 74-75

Joel M Brodsky wrote:

Tom,
      From my recollection, I took the rear crossmember out of the truck
without difficulty, I either was able to twist is so it cleared or I took
I was able to almost get the rear crossmember in place. It twisted and moved about rather easily. My frame is a little pinched and the bolt holes didn't line up, though.

I'll fix that problem with the help of a porta-power tomorrow.

I had a hard time getting the 69-73 *one piece* X-style crossmember out though. Pretend the 74/75 tail 2-piece unit wasn't a 2-piece. Ugh.

Sawzall.

the two pieces separate first. For the front crossmember, I've never taken
it out.  I run it with two bolts or no bolts since it doesn't appear to do
anything, nor be strong enough to do anything. I've done two transmissions
The bellhousing crossmember went in easily enough with a little coaxing from my BFH.

My "under engine" x-member HAS to be in place - it's an integral part of the IFS at the moment.

The "good" news about all of this.. I get to pull the engine and tranny again when I convert the truck to 4x4 and remove the engine crossmember and such. Joy.

swap.  If you're looking to take the front crossmember out, I think you're
hosed.  If you don't need it, cut it, I guess.
The heavier bell crossmember was giving me grief coming out, and I since I cut it to finish the removal, I was hoping I wouldn't have to cut the cleaned and painted 74/75 x-members I was trying to install, and then weld back together in the truck.. :D

Maybe they just improved on the crossmember design in '74 so it could be more easily removed and installed over the earlier stuff.

-Tom