Re: [ihc] wheels, axles...more.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Raistrick" <keen@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>; <oldihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 19:33
Subject: [ihc] wheels, axles...more.

> Just spent a few more minutes with the truck.  Replaced the pass. side
> wheels with two of the duals I have that still hold some air.
>
> Have pictures, but not the energy to put'm up yet.  After dinner, perhaps.
>
> Anyway.
>
> With a single dual on the rear, mounted in the same way the front would
> mount....with the " 6.5" " tires that are on there, there is about 3/4 to
> maybe an inch, clear of the inside of the bed.  Oops.  If the suspension
> squats, it'll rub.

Clearance sounds about right... IIRC that's what Mac said he had on his
IIRC.  It might not rub if you squat the suspension.  1" clear is still
clear!

> As it turns out, though, with the front on, and my handy-dandy-freebie
> laser level and a lot of variables (how much rear toe in do these things
> /have/ anyway?), it looks like the rear inside wheel and the front (with
> dual wheel) actually track pretty close to the same.  If only I had a
> laser string...
> http://www.advancedracing.com/products2.php?prod=string2
>

> I am rather curious how differently it steers with the dual's on the
> front...
>
> Rear mounting surface is just as flat as the front, as we expected.
> Should've took both wheels off at the same time and shot the laser across
> the two...to late.
>
> Anyway.  So I'd have to have about 2+ inches of spacer to really clear the
> bed with 235s, I suppose.

Again, clear is clear.  You might be able to work with what you have.

> If I stick with what I have, I'll /have/ to get wheels with a flat
> mounting surface....the rear never comes anywhere near flat, because that
> inner lip, as well as an equivilent outer curve hit the hub well before
> the section of the wheel that the lugs ride on can...
>
> Hrm.

Basically, something that's designed for that, and I bet you can find
something...

-Ryan

---