Re: [ihc] Steering input splines

Also, in 1980 they switched from the SAE 45 degree type fitting to a metric "O" ring type connector on the input high
pressure side of the box.

> Mike Toney wins!
>
> >>There are two sizes of Scout II PS box input shafts.
> >>Older Scout II PS box used a 13/16" diameter input shaft with 36 splines.
>
> >>Later model SII PS box used a smaller 3/4" input shaft with 30 splines.
>
> Well, at least I now understand what I'm 'seeing'.  I thought I was seeing
> things with the splines being different.
> Having a spare steering box on the side I thought it was an optical
> delusion that the splines looked different.  The one in the truck
> has the finer splines and measured 13/16" or rather 52/64 on my calipers
> this AM.  The 'spare' box has the thinner shaft which was actually thinner
> than 3/4" but had the coarse splines and now I understand what I was
> seeing.  Thanks a jillion for the update, in 14 years of playing Scouts, I
> never noticed the spline count difference and I've rebuilt and swapped 5 of
> these boxes so far.  I'm just sick of rebuilding them myself and for a few
> bucks more I can have someone else worry about matching up the chrome and
> black recirculating balls in the half macaronis.

BTDT!!! But I learned how to just drop the balls in, one after the other, and tap them in if they won't work themselves
in to the worm.

- Jim in Mesa

> Thanks!
>
> JoelB

Jim In Mesa - James Lidberg
jameslidberg@domain.elided
'79 Scout II/4X4/345/Edelbrock 1400/727/D20/3.07 open/PS/PB/4"Trailmaster
Copyright 2004 All rights reserved