Re: [ihc] The truck that shouldn'a been bought. Or, B130 parts, anyone?

David Raistrick wrote:

Axle swap with a Chevy/GMC 3/4 ton (or 1 ton single-wheeler) and gain
disks up front. Rear is easy...and could even come from the above
mentioned 60-68. Front, though, seems rough. Can't easily use a 4x4 front
axle...it will raise the front of the truck about 4-5 inches, since the
hubs, from what I can tell, are directly inline with the axle. The front
axle on the B-130 drops down to meet the spring mounts, so the hubs are
/not/ inline with the "axle". It's been suggested I might find an apropos
axle on a Class A motor home, or similar chassis..but that might leave me
with a similar front hub-width problem, with hubs designed to run duals.
$???? Who knows...

Easy solution to this - you block the rear of the truck up, to match how much higher the front sits with the straight axle.

I have to do this with my '74 1T with coil suspension when I convert it to a live axle 4x4 front.

Somewhat good news along these lines, most IH 4x4 pickups used a divorce mounted NP205 transfer case. At some point in the future, you could get a t'case from one of these trucks, hang it behind your current engine/transmission combination, then shorten the rear 'shaft,install a front 'shaft, and install an intermediate stub-shaft and you have 4x4.

Pretty painless, all things considered.. and it'd work with the GM running gear.

Anyone want a good parts truck?

Not exactly the kind of experience for your first IH you'd hoped for... :(

-Tom