[ihc] Lifting Rocky again

>Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 22:21:04 -0400
>From: Rocky Lear <rockylear@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] Re: Lifting Rocky
><< I was talking about blocking the overload up off the springs. I didn't
want to use anything more than a factory block in >the back. Remember this
is a 2WD to 4WD conversion right now too. It does not have any blocks at all
right now. I'll have a >pair of 3/4 ton blocks for the back. Will they work
on the rear of this one ton?>>

Yes.

><< OK,  will the use of the chevy springs in front cause the pinion to be
at the wrong angle....like what happens when the 2WD IH springs are left
alone and used on a drive axle?

Yes, same situation.

>If so, is there any way to overcome this?

Yes, either tapered shims(steel) or drop the spring fixed mounts an equal
distance. Or just run it 'as is'.

>I have read previously to subtract 2" from the advertised lift if used on
IH's. I guess if I wnt 8" I'll neeed 10" springs>>>

That's a very rough rule of thumb. The final result really depends on the
spring arch and spring rate. Both #'s are all over the place for aftermarket
GM lift springs. Just ferinstance, I have seen rear spring rates from less
than 300 #/in to over 600 #/in(!).

Jim