Re: [ihc] Electrical....

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Borck" <tborck@domain.elided>
To: <spamaddy@domain.elided>
Cc: "'Ryan Moore'" <baradium@domain.elided>; "'ihc-digest'" <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 16:35
Subject: RE: [ihc] Electrical....

> If you have a short which is causing the engine to lose power or shutdown,
> it sounds like you have an intermittent short in your 10 gauge ammeter
> wire shunt from the alternator thru the ammeter to the battery.
>
> Check and see if the PO spliced some new wire in the ammeter circuit.

The "PO" had the scout for only 3 years or so and was the original owner.
Never had any weird stuff put on that I've ever been able to tell (he did
take out the a/c, so he was at least partly crazy), but he also made the
nifty bumper spacer and brush guard combo.

I did splice the memory wire for my radio into the lighter circuit, but I
don't expect that that one should cause many problems, given the type of
splice I did there shouldn't be much opportunity for a short (used one of
those inline splicers).

> (I found such a splice behind the glove box in my 74 Scout.)
>
> If this is true, and the short lasts long enough, it will fry your dash
> and engine wiring.

That's exactly what I *don't* want to happen.  Went to the airport today and
back and didn't have anything come up.  Havn't had any time to crawl around
looking for stuff yet, it's really busy right now.

I'll make a note though to check all the alternator wires I can as well as
looking into ammeter wiring.

Thanks,
Ryan

---