From: owner-ihc@domain.elided [mailto:owner-ihc@domain.elided] On Behalf Of Ryan
Moore
Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2004 7:37 PM
To: ihc-digest
Subject: [ihc] Electrical....

Ok, trying to diagnose an electrical problem with the scout.  It's fairly
intermittant, but last time I drove was happening on a fairly regular basis,
seems to be happening more often now in other words.

When driving, the ametter starts to swing fairly wildly (between large
discharge and large charge) and at the same time the engine follows along
with a period of small surges and drops in power.

This is my primary concern right now, if I can't figure it out before the
next time I head to GA (maybe some time this month), then I'll need to leave
the scout there for a while until I *can* fix it.  In the mean time, I'd
rather it not break down on me.

Other issues:  I have a rise in temperature in traffic in the heat,
attributing it to needing a new clutch for my clutch fan, *might* mean new
water pump to get availible mounting pattern (havn't checked too much yet).
Rise is just under 1/4" above normal (which is right at the bottom of the
line across the temp guage).  Doesn't seem like too big of a deal, except
when it happens the engine runs rough, partial vapor lock condition maybe?
I'd like to have an idea of exactly what temp the engine is at, if I get a
mechanical guage, where could I put the sender so I could keep the stock
guage?   Could probobly fix the temp issue just with an electric fan on the
front, but if it didn't need it before, I'd be happy if I didn't need it
now.

Again, electrical is the primary issue, although the other ones might cause
me to take it offline too (coupled with gas milage, it's a fairly big
deal)...  any suggestions or comments appreciated.  Please remember with any
suggestions that this is the *only* mode of transport that I have up here so
I need to avoid anything that could possibly take it offline for an extended
period, anything like that will need to be done in GA where I have another
vehicle to bring back if I need to.

Thanks,
Ryan

---