Re: [OLDIHC:] Re: [ihc] wheels again, dual>single conversions?

At 12:27 PM 5/10/04, David Raistrick wrote:

Usually, if the front hubs are for dual wheels, the wheel flange will be
set pretty far out from the drum, and the drum will be mounted on a
spearate flange---or the drum will be different, and have a pretty deep
'hat' section to it--so as to work with the same backing plate as is used
with single wheels.

The idea here is to keep the contact patch of the tire/track width in the
same place/same width when dual wheels are used instead of singles on the
front.

Mounting single wheels on front hubs meant for the deeper backset of duals
WILL alter the steering geometry and handling to a significant degree.
Thus, not a good idea.

Greg