Re: [ihc] wheels again, dual>single conversions?

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Greg Hermann wrote:

> >The bolt-circle area is a flat section of metal with 6 holes.  The holes
> >are chamfered, alternating one in, one out.
>
> The word here is 'coined'.

Ah ha! Thanks.

> NO idea what these (front ??) wheels are from.

I've got 5 of these, 4 installed on the corners and 1 spare.  After some
more picture hunting, it looks like these might be the stock 3/4 ton
wheels.

You can see the "domed" area on the wheel on this 3/4 ton '61 C-120 4x4:
http://www.mindstreamtech.com/ih/high/exterior/wheel%20-%20driver%20front.JPG

I have to assume that the mounting surface behind this is domed to match,
somehow.

> On at least SOME (the 4x4's for sure) pre- '69 1 tons, IH used dually
> wheels ONLY on the rear when a truck was equipped with duallys !! Yep--from
> the factory, the front ALWAYS came with single type wheels !!

I have a picture of my truck in '68 with the dual-type wheels installed on
the front:

http://www.icantclick.org/gallery/b130/60_b130_1968

Of course, anything can be changed...

> At least on the 1 ton 4x4's, until '69, IH did NOT provide front hubs with
> the wheel flange further outboard so as to accomodate the deeper backset of
> dually wheels ! After '69, they did, but that was also when they switched
> to the 8 hole lug pattern on the 1 tons.

> You haven't said whether your B-130 is a 2x4 or a 4x4, nor have you said
> what size the wheels are. I do have some 17" Budd 6 hole (single) split
> rims around if two of them might help---

Sorry about that, 2x4, 16" wheels on all the ones I have. (4 single wheels
on the truck, 4 dual-type wheels off the truck..tires wouldn't even think
about holding air..)

--
        David Raistrick    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
keen@domain.elided	   http://www.expita.com/nomime.html