Re: Reply: [ihc] Welders and my auto darkening helmet

On Friday, April 30, 2004, at 09:27 PM, Jim or Ginger Aos wrote:

the greenish smoke is zink that is volatizing. Same sickness as
              [oops should be zinc]
welding of
galvanized metal.
Jim A.
Jim, we don't care how you spell zink or zinc. <g>

You know, somewhere in the back of my brain, I seem to recall that the sick feeling caused by breathing gas formed from superheating the zinc is called Metal Fume Fever.

Well, I bit the bullet today, and it didn't hurt much. I put my helmet out in the sun to charge the thing, read the article on helmets Ted sent out, told myself that the helmet stops UV and IR even if it doesn't darken, did David's flash teat, and welded up a new battery box for my trailer.

The results on David's flash test were inconclusive. My electronic flash was probably firing around 1/50000 th of a second, and if the lens darkened, it sure didn't stay dark long enough for me to be sure. Went ahead and used the helmet anyway.

No problem, which doesn't surprise you guys, but surprised me. Maybe I'm over my cowardice.

John

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs