Re: [ihc] welding

I am no expert, except in sticking sticks at startup <g>.

I had learned to scratch the tip of a used rod on concrete or welding brick, to clean the rod tip a bit, so that it
would strike easier. Or, just slam the tip against the brick/concrete to break off a bit of the flux, to expose the
metal rod. Sometimes the flux winds up being longer than the rod, and prevents a clean start.

And "scratch" the rod as you would strike a match stick, this will help prevent sticking.

If everything is set right you can almost lay the rod in the weld puddle as you drag it along, and not have to to keep
the rod up from the work at a distance - like you would with a torch.

If the bead is undercut on the sides it is too hot (too much current).

If there is splatter all over the place it's too hot or maybe bad rods (wet).

If it makes a tall bead that is laying on top of the work it is too cold (too little current or too fast)..

- Jim in Mesa

> I'll get the handbook, but my biggest concern was 'striking the arc'
> which many have told me is the whole key.  The rod sticks and that's when
> it gets weird?

COPYRIGHT 2004 James M. Lidberg
jameslidberg@domain.elided
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED