[ihc] RE: Tiring David

>Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:27:14 -0700 (PDT)
>From: David Raistrick <keen@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] Wheels, tires...& Willamette?

>Just called around, found 4 shops that might install tires on these
>wheels, two said "yes" and the other two wanna see'm first.  I'll give
>whichever I try a chance to see them and say No first anyway,
>though...prices between 15 and 18 per tire for the shops who'd give a
>price.

>Trying to get prices for tubes and flaps, but it's now after 5 so they've
>all closed. :)

Expect to pay as much as $20 per radial tube. Sometimes I'm charged
separately for the flaps, sometimes not. For me, it is often the same $$ or
less to let my tire shop sell me the tires, tubes and install for one money.
No hassles with mail order tires, you might want to check this route.

>Also investigating the possibility of replacing the wheels with a tubeless
>wheel.  Contacted Stockton Wheel, they recommended their Power Wagon II
>wheels @ $165.00 each.  Attempted to contact Willamette...but the only
>contact phone number I found for them is disconnected.  (503) 232-8141

Allan E. has a contact for tubeless wheels that's less than Stockton's
price.

>Where would the spare be mounted on the B-130?

Simple answer is anywhere they could ;) My B-102 has a single bar cradle
behind the rear axle. Your truck is length challenged and hitch impinged
back there. Often cab/chassis were delivered with the spare tire just
strapped to the top of the frame rails, making it the body installers
problem.

>Stepside's are obvious, but where did they put them on the fleetside boxes
>and on the flatbeds?

Not so obvious as you may think. Side mounts don't seem to have been that
common on the stepsides. Must have cost $10 extra or something.

>and where and how the bumpers attached...

Rear bumpers were completely optional, there are many flavors. Rarest of all
would be the stamped sheet metal style to match the front. 'IH approved'
aftermarket bumpers were shown in the Neccessory catalogs, most were
probably dealer or TSPC installed. Lots of dealers had local sources of
'custom fit' bumpers as well. In any case, they all attached to the back of
the frame rails, with varying amounts of required drop fabricated into the
mounting arms. My favorites are the tread plate surfaced hitch('step', or
'Barden' style) that wrap all the way around the corners. Some attach to the
back corner of the fender, the really slick ones leave a small gap there and
have a vertical flange about 1" tall that follows the fender contour.

Jim