From: John Hofstetter
Date: 4/27/2004 9:11:27 PM
To: spamaddy@domain.elided
Cc: ihc@domain.elided
Subject: Re: [ihc] head gasket advice?

On Monday, April 26, 2004, at 09:40 PM, <spamaddy@domain.elided> wrote:

> I'm going to tear my IH 345 apart, and since I've never done anything
> like
> this before I thought I'd seek some wisdom from the group.  I've read
> through the shop manual and have a pretty good idea what to do on
> disassembly and reassembly, but is there anything I should watch out
> for in
> the process?  Any "gotchas" or tips from the veterans?  Any lessons a
> first-timer should know?  I usually learn the right way by doing it
> wrong
> the first time, but I don't have that luxury this time.
>

> Where's the best place (or brand) to get a head gasket?  Can I just
> buy the
> one Napa sells?  Should I buy a new gasket from a light line
> distributor or
> perhaps somewhere else?  I know there's a concern about the thickness
> of the
> head gasket, and I'd like to avoid any milling of the heads if
> possible.

Having read ahead, I know Greg answered the head gasket question.
Opinion on whether, and how, to put on the head gaskets gets a lot of
different answers from this group. Jim Grammer uses old style Permatex
that has to be removed with a jack hammer. I used to use the same stuff
on IH sixes that had warped heads.

A lot of us use the high tack copper spray and it seems to work. Some
people don't use anything. If the gaskets have a fibrous lining (I
can't remember on the IH gaskets) then they should be soaked in water
maybe overnight before being put on.

Sealing the rear of the valley plate is the hardest seal to make leak
proof. Valve covers should be flattened before putting them on.
Gascacinch is one thing I used, Some guys use the "Right Stufff" and no
gasket, but don't go that way before you know that the covers won't
have to come off for a while.

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hof

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of IMSTP.gif]