[ihc] Buying my first IHC: 1/2 or 3/4 ton?

Hey folks.

I'm shopping around, looking to buy my first IHC truck. (..and my first
domestic truck, at that.)  Doing a lot of reading, and asking a lot of
questions. :)

I've narrowed it down to something between 1950 and 1968 (no Scouts or
T-Alls!), prefering 1950-1960 with a stepside...but I don't expect this to
be the last IHC I buy, so I'm flexible till the right truck comes along.
(..and once I /have/ a truck, getting a truck that needs work is easier!:)

My expectations for my new truck are fairly basic:

 Able to be driven home from where ever I find it, back to Central
 Florida.

 Be able to do so at 55-60mph or so.

 Will be used for the usual truck-type duties...hauling things to the
 dump, bringing lumber home from the lumber yard..and pulling a trailer.

 I need to be able to pull a ~18ft trailer with a ~5800lb car (or truck!:)
 on it, and do so safely at 55 or so mph for long distances.  Not it's
 full-time job, but once or twice a year, sometimes.  I'll need to find or
 fab a receiver hitch for the truck, which I don't expect to be a problem.
 I expect to have brakes on the trailer, of course.

I don't need (or particularly want) 4wd.

With my towing needs in mind, I've been looking for a 3/4 ton truck (120
or 1200).  Is this reasonable?  Would the 1/2 ton trucks perform
reasonably for what I need?  I know that the IHC trucks are /much/ more
solidly built then the other domestic half tons...

What's the general difference between the 1/2 and the 3/4 ton trucks?  I
read that the 1/2 trucks have a weaker? rear axle that probably wouldn't
be up to the towing tasks.  Obviously the 3/4 trucks also have a heavier
suspension.  Are there frame differences, or could the 3/4 ton suspension
and axle be bolted into a 1/2 ton truck?

If there is anyone within a few hours drive of Central Florida who has a
110/1100 or 120/1200 of these vintages who'd be willing to let me take her
for a test drive, I'd appreciate it.  I'd like to get a feel for these
trucks before I take a long trip to buy one...:)

If anyone has something in this range for sale, feel free to email me
offlist about it.  I'm looking for something in "decent" body condition
with a solid frame and in good mechanical condition (..driving it home to
Florida, and all.)  Show winners and original garage-kept's are probably
out of my price range. :)  I'm not looking for a restored truck, or
looking to restore a truck...just looking for something I can use
regularly.

For some background, I'm no stranger to automotive systems, old or new,
though I'm currently down to three cars: '04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI, '85 VW
Quantum, and my '66 VW Westfalia SO-44 camper.  I currently run the
mailing lists and webserver for the type2.com and vintagebus.com VW Bus
communities.  I look forward to dusting off and adding to my collection of
non-metric tools. :)

thanks.

...david

--