[ihc] RE: Dan's dead dinos

Second, a fellow that lives near me here has a 77 with a 345 2 barrel 2210
carb, gold box Holley, stock plug wires, Champion 87 plugs, blocked off EGR
valve, dual exaust. All the above parts are new. He can not get his truck
through inspection. He just failed once again today. His #'s were:

HC 491

CO% 1.86

CO2% 9.4

At 778 RPM's

   Now, what can we do to get that HC number down below 300? Before we
blocked off the EGR valve last week, his CH's were in the 600's and the CO%
was 3.9something. What causes high Hydrocarbons?

Too much fuel, not enough air ;)

It's just too rich at idle :(

Interesting that the EGR removal(only?) had that effect. EGR should have
been inoperative at idle, and even if it was working at that RPM(and the
engine still ran)it would dilute the mixture and should lower HC.

The 2210 is new?

Remember to watch out for the distorted top 2210 syndrome. Float level in
spec? Choke opening fully?

Jim