Re: [ihc] Battery/Starter Questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Shaw, II" <josephshaw@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>; <oldihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2004 7:03 PM
Subject: [ihc] Battery/Starter Questions

> Okay-making a lot of progress in bringing my '77/'67 Diesel hybrid back to
> life.  I have the engine turnign by hand, have been doing some small
projects.
> Just got the proper battery, as opposed to two smaller ones in series,
etc.

> However, I now have run into the problem that the starter does not kick it
> over at all.  I have tried with the two batteries, with the new battery,
with
> the two batteries and a jump from a running car, two batteries and the new
one
> attached by jumper cables, tried all of these combos while trying to
manually
> jump across the starter terminals-not just using the key switch, etc, etc,
> etc.
>
> SO, I tested the voltage down at the starter terminals to see that the
cables
> were getting sufficient juice down to them.  They test out at about 14
volts
> (little "sunpro" home tester-not sure of accuracy, but it measured about
the
> same on the batteries directly, which is about right, I believe.
>
> SO, does this mean my starter is fried?
>
> My starter selenoid is fried?
>
> Is the selenoid separate from the starter in this application, or a one
piece
> thing?
>
> How much is a starter for this beast going to cost me?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions or info!
>
> Michael

I would guess your solenoid is shot if you're still getting 14 volts when
you're trying to turn it over. I haven't seen the diesel starter, but the
fix is the same. Pull the starter and take it to an auto electric shop for a
rebuild. If they look at it with confidence when you ask "about how much"
will it cost (describe the symptoms), you have the right place.