[ihc] Battery/Starter Questions

Okay-making a lot of progress in bringing my '77/'67 Diesel hybrid back to
life.  I have the engine turnign by hand, have been doing some small projects.
Just got the proper battery, as opposed to two smaller ones in series, etc.

However, I now have run into the problem that the starter does not kick it
over at all.  I have tried with the two batteries, with the new battery, with
the two batteries and a jump from a running car, two batteries and the new one
attached by jumper cables, tried all of these combos while trying to manually
jump across the starter terminals-not just using the key switch, etc, etc,
etc.

SO, I tested the voltage down at the starter terminals to see that the cables
were getting sufficient juice down to them.  They test out at about 14 volts
(little "sunpro" home tester-not sure of accuracy, but it measured about the
same on the batteries directly, which is about right, I believe.

SO, does this mean my starter is fried?

My starter selenoid is fried?

Is the selenoid separate from the starter in this application, or a one piece
thing?

How much is a starter for this beast going to cost me?

Thanks for any suggestions or info!

Michael