RE: [ihc] Buy A QUALITY Anvil - An IH Anvil!!!!!

## >> Subject: Re: [ihc] Buy A QUALITY Anvil - An IH Anvil!!!!!
## >>
## >>
## >> Too bad it's all bronze. Otherwise it'd be great for
## >> the shop!!

great as what?  a paperweight?  shop decoration?  did you see the size of
that thing?  it's *tiny*!  i was tempted to bid on it just to have it around
(not like i can afford it this month!), but then i saw the size of it.  that
anvil's too small to be useful for anything but a desk ornament.  maybe a
hood ornament?  the IH logo is cool, though.  +)

my dad's got a home-made steel jeweler's anvil out at the farm...  it's
maybe three times the size of that bronze one.  one of his dad's friends up
at the Mountain Pass mine made it from a short length of minecar track
sometime in the late '40s.  it's pretty cool, they didn't do anything with
the top of the rail, just left it rounded and polished.  they cut the horn
out of one end and then ground the top of that flat and sides and bottom
triangular, and cut a flat squared-off tailpiece, and left the base of it
the way it was, with the railspike holes and everything.  neat little anvil,
and you can tell just by looking at it what they made it from.  hasn't been
used in a lot of years, though.  my dad used it to make his and my mom's
wedding rings way back when, and i don't think it's been used for much of
anything since.  maybe i'll get the old man to let me have it next time i'm
out there.  would be a nice keepsake from the mine, and the only one i'd
have, as currently i haven't got anything from the mine or the
now-defunct-for-more-than-20-years town where i grew up.

nickel/grain of salt

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/

---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.