Re: [ihc] 3/1 phase question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Hermann" <bearbvd@domain.elided>
To: "Joel Furtek" <jf7e@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 22:35
Subject: Re: [ihc] 3/1 phase question

> At 10:04 PM 4/5/04, Joel Furtek wrote:
> >Fellow binders,
> >Please forgive the off-topic question, but I recall a rather lengthy
> >discussion of 1 and 3 phase electrics some time ago.  Could a kind
> >soul email me (off-list if advised) with a rather simple readers'
> >digest version of an answer to this question:  Could a 3-phase
> >generator (ex mil, self propelled) reasonably be adapted to power a
> >home (single-phase)?
> >Thanks!
> >Joel
>
> Simple answer is yes, sort of, but NO, not very efficiently.
>
> Greg

In that case, if you really want to do it and do it easily?  Get an
inverter, airplanes use them to go from ground power to the 3 phase they use
sometimes.

Basically it can either be solid state, or an electric motor that turns a
generator (don't know if there is a solid state one for what you want).
That should work for what you seem to want to do and actually isn't all that
difficult.  It's not as efficient as rectifying immediately at the source
(making it in the form you want), but it will work and shouldn't be
extremely difficult to set up.  You could mount the inverter on the
generator or put it in a fixed location and just plug in as needed.

Thanks,
Ryan

---