[ihc] Re: Joel's tranny mess

heh,
      Good call Jim.  I've got the whole kit waiting to go in, filter,
gasket and slightly longer bolts.  When I do the job, I'll do it right.
I've had the gaskets, just  waiting for a fluid change, I just didn't think
it would have to be done now, three days before I leave.  I'm guessing that
the hoses have a leak from rubbing on something (had a trans tunnel screw
go through a steel fuel line once in the travelall), or the small seals are
leaking.  Under the truck today when I got to work, I didn't see anything
amiss, but who knows.

      Now, for a test.  How can I 'load' the trans to watch if fluid leaks
from a pressure fitting?  Run the truck up against a brick wall, put it in
gear and set the throttle for a little heat, and then look underneath?
Have someone brake-throttle the truck up and watch for fluid leaks?  On my
14 mile commute this morning, only the last 4 miles did it seem to be
leaking/smoking, so either it just happened or there is some certain speed
at which it leaks.

      Looking for answers...

-JoelB

Joel -

Absent a ruptured pressure line to the cooler(which would only really puke
with the engine running), the shifter seals are about the only source for
the volume of fluid you describe(but you knew that already).

My $.02 is that if it's at all possible for you to get to a Chrysler or
Jeep
dealer today, it is *well* worth your while to get the 'real deal' Mopar
pan
gasket. Their plastic over steel core service replacement gasket is slick,
requires no sealant, and is reusable. With your time pinch not having to
watch the glue dry is a huge benny. When you get back and go to install the
Trans-Go No Yo-Yo kit(to stop the converter drain back)you won't need
another gasket.

Donnelly was raving about the Mopar gasket, so when I last did a tranny
service on the Jeep ZJ I used the 42RE equivalent. Slick. Someone spent
some
time and $$ figuring out a gasket that would let the dealership techs 'bolt
and fill'.

See ya soon. I will confess that the prospect of not having to prep a truck
for the trip is a relief. OTOH, if anything *does* break on the Excursion I
have no doubt we'll be SOL and $$$$ :(

Jim