From: John Hofstetter [mailto:hofs@domain.elided]
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 10:02 PM
To: Steve Stegmann; Tom Mandera; Joel M Brodsky
Cc: Ryan Moore; ihc@domain.elided; Mac McMuffin; hofs@domain.elided
Subject: Re: [ihc] Joel's Trailer Towing

on 4/3/04 9:04 AM, Steve Stegmann at steve.stegmann@domain.elided wrote:

> Joel,
>
> There's more to it than just getting the ride height back up. Get the bars
> for the hitch and get a sway control for the hitch also.  It won't add
much
> to the cost.  Seems like mine was about $300 brand new.  Used should be
just
> fine.  If they're not bent, they're fine.  This is **not** the place to be
> cheap.  Do that somewhere else.
>
> Steve

Joel probably already knows that I think the equalizer hitch is the ONLY way
to go, but unlike Steve, I've never needed a sway bar, even when I had one
already installed, when my Eq. hitch was properly adjusted.

Those torsion bars have an anti-sway capacity of their own, plus proper
weight distribution eliminates most, if not all, the tendency to sway.

I pulled my 27 foot travel trailer with my Grand Cherokee literally all over
the country. Equalizer hitch, no sway bar.

However, Steve is a good resource and may have other experiences supporting
his belief in sway bars. Let me say that I've spent some time camping with
that fellow, and I've never seen him sway. <g>

I paid $50 about a year ago for a hitch that was in primo condition. Guys
moving from conventional trailers to 5th wheels often end up with extra
equalizer hitches. I've seen used ones stacked along the walls of trailer
dealers.

John Hofstetter