Re: [ihc] 12" clutches and I'm sick of it already!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>

Joel-

I am still of the opinion that this clutch was assembled incorrectly by the
rebuilder. I had one like this, the first of several that I had done at AZ
Brake and Clutch. At that time, there were several other people across the
country that had the exact same problem. My guess is that the latest version
of whatever bible they use to get the specs had an incorrect setup
proceedure. When I took the factory manual pages in, it was obvious that
they had installed shims where they didn't belong. It appears that they set
it up on the press without the disc in place, so the disc changed the
geometry, pushing the fingers inboard. You have to do this setup with the
disc you intend to use unless you have an assemly line in place for this
particular clutch. I seriously doubt anybody does, since it's been nearly 30
years since 12" clutches were used in IH vehicles.

Distance from the flywheel surface on a 12 inch clutch should be 2 1/8" to
the tips of the actuating fingers where the throwout bearing sits with the
clutch assembly completely installed. There are pictures (well, drawings) in
the service manuals. I have a 12 inch clutch at the house that's ready to go
into the shop to be rebuilt if you want to compare.

-Allan