Re: [ihc] Mac's 184?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>
Cc: <ihc@domain.elided>; "Mac McMuffin" <mac@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2004 15:16
Subject: Re: [ihc] Mac's 184?

> My trailer is not a dovetail, nor is it 8-lug.  Mine is a double axle,
> brakes on all-four, 5 on 5.5" ford rims, with 12" side rails around the
20'
> deck.  Hauls Ford Supercabs quite nicely behind my Traveler which is what
> I've been moving most, lately.  The only problem is that the 1/2T springs
> in the back of the Scout sag real bad, so I can't get as much tongue
weight
> as I'd like.  Anyone have experience with air-bags added to their rigs?
> I was thinking of adding them both to my Travelall and my Traveler.
> I've not yet tried to put a regular truck spare on the trailer as the
> profile on the trailer tires are much narrower and run pressures MUCH
> higher than those of the truck.  I think the load rating on the trailer
> tires is greater than that of the truck tires as well.
>
> JoelB

Have you considered getting an L/D hitch to use with the trailer?  Then you
can get more tonque weight and transfer some of it to the front axle to help
with the sag.  Have you contemplated add-a-leafs?  you could put then on in
a place where it won't engage until you get to a certain amount of
compression of the spring pack so your unloaded ride isn't affected too
badly.

You get a lot more listed carrying capacity for the trucks as well as your
hitch (assuming you have a Class III) with an L/D setup.  I think L/D
hitches are one of the best things you can do for a bumper pull trailer if
you are using a "light" vehicle for the hauling.

Thanks,
Ryan

---