Re: [ihc] Mac's 184?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mac McMuffin" <mac@domain.elided>
To: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2004 11:47
Subject: RE: [ihc] Mac's 184?

> ## >> Mac, Ryan?
> ## >> in picture:
> ## >> http://master.triad.ath.cx/images/Scout%20Pix/B/B184%20on%20tr
> ## >> ailer.jpg
> ## >> is the trailer bending or does it just look like it's bending?
> ## >>
> ## >> -JoelB
>
> for the sake of accuracy, i'd like to point out that the B184 isn't mine.
> i'm taking possession of the B182A, not the B184.  the subject line here
is
> a bit inaccurate on that point.  to be honest, i like the shorter
wheelbase
> of the 182 over the 184, though both are impressive trucks throughout.
that
> spinnie red light on the top of the B182 kinda grabbed my interest too.
+)
> i can't wait for my first fuel-fill...  150 gallons into the main tank and
> 21 more in the aux.  wonder how loudly my wallet is going to scream over
> that one, especially at current fuel prices ($1.599 or so per gallon here
> on-post).
>
> as for the trailer, it sure looks like it's bending, doesn't it?  if i
> recall correctly, Joel F said that the B184 weighs 7,000lbs or more all by
> itself (from the picture, a fair guess might put the actual weight even
> higher).  the majority of that weight is going to be up front in the cab,
> engine, and forward frame.  looking at the picture, seeing how close the
> rear wheels are to the fenders of the trailer, with the length of the
frame
> and how far forward the cab is...  that's a lot of weight leveraged onto
the
> front of the trailer, though the trailer appears to curve downward behind
> the wheels, too.  notice how far the back of the tow-vehicle is dropped.
> now that it's been pointed out, i think it does look like it's bending.
>
> it doesn't seem to bend quite so much, or sag the rear of the tow-vehicle
> quite as much, with the B182 on the trailer.  at least in the pictures i
> have of it.  maybe that's just my imagination.
>
> my nickel/grain of salt disclaimer, as usual.
>
> --Mac

You guys are seeing things, it's not bending.  The trailer has a dove tail
in the back of it so it slopes down at the rear.  That forward section is
flat, but looks to be bending because of an optical illusion due to the dove
tail.   The trailer is rated to 12,000 lbs total weight.  I think the
trailer's dry weight is around 2,000 lbs.  I doubt the B184 weighs 10,000lbs
or more (we estimated that the total combo weighed less than that).  The
truck is supposed to be good to tow up to 12,500lbs, but this was as much
weight as I think we would have been comfortable with.  I don't even think
the trailer's suspension even moved all that much when we put the trucks on
it, it's nice and heavy duty.

It's an 8 lug trailer, which I think is great... but since ford went to
metric on thier rims he still can't have just one spare for both truck and
trailer.

BTW, in that picture, that's before we moved the truck or trailer after
clearance of the saddle tanks over the fenders.  I don't think we'd even
chained it down yet, just pulled it on and raised the ramps.

Thanks,
Ryan

---