[ihc] Pete's feeling gritty

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 20:47:25 -0600
From: "Peter Ferris" <binder@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] Random Tidbits From Pete

2) Being a body work neophyte (actually a LITTLE experience) -- What grit
sandpaper (discs) is good to take off old paint/primer, etc. I don't care so
much about speed of the prep work as much as minimal repair/reconstruction
afterwards - nothing sooo aggressive that it would make more work later;
e.g.; a "20 boulder per inch" or something might be too severe, but what
might be good?  I have a small area (~ 1.5") on my driver side rear quarter
that has "cracked" (Waaaaayyyyy too much Bondo/filler from DPO), and shows
great promise of spreading/fracturing further.  I'll be using a variable
speed DA to sand with. Perhaps not the optimal tool, but better than
nothing.

How much air do you have? With my old compressor @ 80-100PSI, it took 36
grit discs to get anywhere stripping paint. With my 'new' compressor @
125-150PSI(that can actually stay ahead of the DA), 60 grit does a good job
with lighter scratches.

Jim