Re: [ihc] Limited slip additive in automatic trannies?

I have forwarded this note onto Rick Allison at A&A, so hopefully I will
have some outside info on this by a guy who knows more about it than any
of us.  Here are my thoughts, tho.
1.        Limited-slip additive has been around for almost as long as the
727 I would venture.  Why has this never been tried before?  I am
guessing because it either does not work, or makes no noticeable
improvement.  It sounds good in theory, but a properly working trans
should not need this.  I see no mention of this in my MoPar Performance
catalogue, which makes me think that the factory, which has a lot more
engineering background than most of us, does not recommend this as a
viable upgrade.
2.        Why would a person have such a problem with foaming?  The
filter is submerged and almost touching the bottom of the pan.  If
foaming is so bad that it extends to the entire amount of oil, either you
are low on fluid, or are spending an inordinate amount of time in a
high-incline situation so that all of the oil is in the tailshaft
housing.  Another reason I can see is that the trans is too full, so the
rotating assembly is beating the fluid into a froth.  If you have foaming
problems, address the source first.  If you cannot fix it that way, then
get a deeper pan.  It will alleviate the foaming problems, and will give
you cooler fluid as a side benefit.  If anti-foaming agents were the way
to go, then why has nobody thought of it before?  Like above, I find no
mention of it in my MoPar Performance catalogue, while I do see a listing
for a deeper pan.
3.        Regarding the clutches slipping and failing, the clutch
friction materials themselves are not designed to provide the friction
that causes the clutches to hold.  That is done by tension of the fluid,
and the friction materials are sort of a binder or sponge to hold the
oil.  When the clutch is applied, the fluid is squeezed out of the
friction material and from between the material and the reaction plate.
As the clearance is reduced, the fluid starts to shear, and it is at that
point that the clutch begins to apply.  Eventually the clutch grabs ahold
of the reaction via the tension of the fluid, and at that point the
friction material is touching the reaction plate.  Under extreme load
conditions, the clutches may slip, and that is where having good friction
materials  comes into play.  Better papers give better wear at high
temperatures before glazing, burning, or wearing down.  Once the paper
glazes or burns, then its ability to hold and release fluid is
compromised, and the clutch slips more and more, eventually wearing down
to the steel substrate.  I think that using limited-slip fluid may just
be a mask for symptoms of other things, like low oil pressure, or worn
out clutches, or an improperly assembled trans.  If everything works
right, they should not need it.
4.        If MoPar transmissions hate Dextron, then why do they call for
it on the dipstick?  Again, the factories knew what they were doing.  I
have heard that the late-model trucks have issues with it, but my
understanding on that is that the problem is related to convertor clutch
operation and wear, which is something that IHC products do no have.  I
have heard that the late-models are supposed to use either the factory
fluids to prevent convertor clutch failure, or a type of Toyota fluid.
Both are dealer-only items, and expensive, but they are supposed to work.
 The rest of the components used in the late-model 618/518/500 units are
virtually identical to the IHC units, except for the convertor clutch and
the overdrive unit.  Just go with what the factory said, which in our
case is Dextron.  You can use Type F if you are in some sort of street or
competition application, but Dextron is much more available at the gas
stations, so use that for ordinary everyday use.
5.        Driving style is the biggest cause of transmission problems I
have seen.  Just because it can go fast, is built for performance, or has
all of the heavy-duty super-throw-me-down parts does not give you license
to abuse your car/truck/engine/transmission under the guise of 'skilz'.
If it keeps breaking, lighten up, and re-examine how you do things.  Most
of the time, your 'skilz' are not netting anything in terms of speed or
response.  Unless you like dumping money into it and fixing things all
the time.  I dunno, some folks are funny that way.  And others just do
not listen to what their peers are telling them.
-Colin