RE: [ihc] Re: making a 1/2T a 3/4T

Thanks Dennis, you said it better than I did.

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ihc@domain.elided [mailto:owner-ihc@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Dennis Bernth
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 3:23 PM
To: ihc@domain.elided
Cc: baradium@domain.elided
Subject: [ihc] Re: making a 1/2T a 3/4T

Ryan-
If your 14 bolt is ex-military, it 'should' have come from a CUCV, and
it
'should' have 4.56 gears, with a Detroit locker. If the HD 44 fronts you
are
talking about are ex-military and don't have protruding hubs, they're
likely
the Dodge 'small wheel bearing' version they used on full time trucks
from
73-79. The Dodge CUCV pickups had 4.10 gears front and rear, and used
rear
Dana 60's. The Chevy CUCV's used 4:56 ratio 14 bolt rears and Dana 60
fronts,
except for the Blazers- 10/12 bolt open 3.07's as far as I know. Not
saying
you 'don't' have 4.10's, but you may want to double check before you
source
out a front axle and find it doesn't match ratios. If the 14 bolt is a
'civilian' model and is actually 4.10's, it probably has a Gov-Lock
posi.
Check the web for info on the Gov-loc, I haven't heard too many people
that
are fond of them, at least not that use them at all hard.
Dennis