[ihc] Joel's unholy undercarriage

Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:45:34 -0700
From: Joel M Brodsky <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] making a 1/2T a 3/4T

Has anyone ever swapped axles from a Big3 truck running gear to make an IH
a 3/4T straight across?  I've had my share of dealing with IH specific
problems, ie, weird seals, 6 bolt stub shafts instead of the more common
eight, wheels that may or may not fit, brakes that may or may not be
available, and bearings and rotors that are not 'off-the-shelf' at most
auto parts stores.

Joel, the closest thing to a 'straight swap' is GM '73 - '87. Front spring
spacing is the same, rear spring perches need to be moved. Personally, I
don't like the extra front track width(about 1.5" IIRC)of the GM axle, YMMV.
You may want the GM CV style front driveshaft as well, GM tilts the pinion
up a lot compared with IH. In the rear, if you're moving the perches anyway
you can set the pinion angle at the same time. Something else to look
at('tho it's more hassle) is mounting the GM rear spring/shackle hangers to
the IH frame, complete with the GM springs. The frames are both SAE spec 34"
across the outside of the rails back there. If you compare the 2 side by
side you'll pick up on the possible advantages ;)

Jim