Re: [ihc] making a 1/2T a 3/4T

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 19:45
Subject: [ihc] making a 1/2T a 3/4T

> Has anyone ever swapped axles from a Big3 truck running gear to make an IH
> a 3/4T straight across?  I've had my share of dealing with IH specific
> problems, ie, weird seals, 6 bolt stub shafts instead of the more common
> eight, wheels that may or may not fit, brakes that may or may not be
> available, and bearings and rotors that are not 'off-the-shelf' at most
> auto parts stores.
>
> So, I want to make my 1/2T Travelall a 3/4T.  And this after having the
> entire rear end overhauled to the tune of: I could have bought another
> truck for that easy!
>
> Ford springs (looked at three different generations of truck today) have
3"
> leaves and the perches are a tad wider (1" or thereabouts) and the springs
> are longer by about 2" up to 4" longer.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> JoelB

I can tell you that 1 ton 14bolt rearends are cheap.  I have one sitting up
here with a 4.10 gears and either a posi or a locker (supposed to be a
locker, but I havn't visibly verified which one it is, just checked
externally so far), planned to put it in the panel to try to make *it* into
a tow vehicle, but there's a very possible 1 ton IH in the forseeable future
for me, so I'm holding of on that plan.  Don't know whether I'm still going
to use the 14 bolt or not.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that 14 bolt rears are fairly cheap
and the weight ratings are fairly good (get one from a 1 ton dually for the
bigger bearings).  Get an HD44 to mate it with and you're set.

Don't know about springs, I was thinking at the time of doing a minimal lift
conversion, which probobly would have required custom spring packs (trying
to keep the CG low so have only a slight lift with stiffer springs).

Thanks,
Ryan

---