[ihc] Re: Humphrey's Coil Voltage

Dan and John,
	How can I use the 12v R circuit all of the time, since I do have a
Pertronix?

; if you switched to a PerTronixs, for
> instance,
> > then you
> > could use the 12 volt R circuit all the time, allowing a hotter
> feed
> > to the
> > coil for spark development, and for the full 12 volts to the relay
> > for the
> > Injector system.

	Yes, a big part of the fuse panel is on in both the start and run
position but that is the boat I am in now. During cranking the voltage
drops and opens the relay. I picked the heater circuit because I never
have the heater running while I am starting the Scout. My other choices
are, radio, turn/back up, and tail and panel. All of which will drop in
voltage during start. If the lights are on the lights will dim during
cranking. The radio lowers in volume. The remaining two circuits are
always on, stop/hazard and horn/dome. That's all my fuse panel has.

> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:24:11 -0800
> From: John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: [ihc] Coil Voltage?
>
> He says that a big part of the fuse panel is "on" in both the start
> and run
> function of the ignition. The other part of the fuse panel is for
> the
> accessory stuff.
>
> Put a test light or a meter on the circuits coming from the fuse
> panel and
> choose one that is off when the switch is off, and on in both start
> and run
> modes. This wire should go out and trigger a relay which is fed from
> a lead
> from the hot side of your Ford. Now the relay can supply full
> switched power
> to the coil and whatever else needs to be switched. I supply my
> field lead
> power on the alternator from this point.
>
> I THINK your Pertronix (pretty sure) system has to be protected by a
> resistor and I think the specs say that it can use the reduced
> voltage ALL
> the time. So the lead from the new "trigger relay" supplies the
> ballast with
> 12 volts and the ballast resistor supplies whatever. A different
> wire from
> the trigger relay supplies the power for the ECU.
>
> I think this will do it.
>
> John Hofstetter

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!